- Advertising Aerospace Agriculture Animals/Pets Automotive Biotech Boating Business / economics Chemistry Cities and provinces Comics Computer hardware Computers Construction Countryside Culture and art
- Decoration Education Electronics Energy Engineering Environment and nature Family Finance Food and Beverages Forest and Wood Gardening Government Handicraft Homeland Insurance International
- Legal Leisure Lifestyle Logistics Manufacturing Marketing Media Medical Metal industry and Metallurgy Military Music and Entertainment Non-profit Paper industry Photography Politics Publishing
- Real estate Religion Retail Science Security Site News Social services Software Sport / leisure Sports Telecommunications Topstory Tourism Working life
AIA Hong Kong Launches Brand New "Cancer Guardian" Series
published: 05.02.2015, 04:29
AIA Hong Kong today announced the launch of “Cancer Guardian” series, with two cancer reimbursement medical plans, namely, “Cancer Guardian Plus” and “Cancer Guardian”. With premium as low as a few Hong Kong dollars per day*, customers can enjoy a full range of protection benefits for the treatment of cancer, including cancer diagnostic tests, cancer treatment, reconstructive surgery and post-treatment monitoring. The “Cancer Guardian” series covers all stages of cancer (including carcinoma-insitu) and complications of cancer. The plan will reimburse cancer treatment expenses incurred from hospitalisation (in semi-private room level) or outpatient care. The limit Per Covered Cancer is up to HK$1 million, while lifetime cancer protection is HK$3 million. In addition, “Cancer Guardian Plus” is unique for its market-first “Target Protection Benefit”. If a customer is diagnosed with any Covered Cancer classified as stage four or a target cancer, the limit Per Covered Cancer is increased by an additional 50%.
Cancer is the No.1 killer in Hong Kong. Figures reveal that one in four men and one in five women in Hong Kong are at risk of contracting cancer before the age of 751. Over the last decade, close to 40% of cancer patients were aged 60 and below2, indicating the alarming trend that more people are contracting cancer at a younger age.
Mr. Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, said, “Treatment costs for cancer are extremely high and the road to recovery is considerably long, presenting a long-term and heavy financial and psychological burden on cancer patients and their families. As the real partner of our customers throughout their journey of life, AIA fully understands their concerns and needs. We are launching the new ‘Cancer Guardian’ series with the aim of providing all-round and comprehensive coverage to care for cancer patients with benefits also applicable to their family members. The new series furthers AIA’s commitment to walk handin-hand with our customers and their loved ones as they navigate through the difficulties in life. It also delivers on our brand promise as ‘The Real Life Company’ by offering customers additional peace of mind.”
Key features of the new “Cancer Guardian” series include:
- Reimbursement of medical expenses related to cancer treatment at an affordable premium －Enjoy Lifetime Cancer Limit up to HK$3 million (the limit Per Covered Cancer is HK$1 million) with premium as low as a few Hong Kong dollars per day* with guaranteed lifetime renewal3;
- First-in-market Target Protection Benefit4 － In the unfortunate event that a customer is diagnosed with any Covered Cancer classified as stage four or a target cancer (liver, brain, blood cancer or lymphoma) after purchasing “Cancer Guardian Plus”, the limit Per Covered Cancer will be increased by 50%5 (the limit Per Covered Cancer is increased from HK$1 million to HK$1.5 million);
- Complete treatment protection ranging from cancer diagnosis to post-treatment cancer monitoring － The plans fully reimburse all actual expenses ranging from the costs related to medically necessary diagnostic tests to determine a Covered Cancer, cancer treatment (including radiotherapy, chemotherapy, costly targeted therapy, etc.), reconstructive surgery on the head or breast, to the fees of cancer monitoring and consultation for up to 5 years after completion of active treatment;
- Coverage for all stages of cancer (including carcinoma-in-situ) and any complications of cancer;
- Full coverage for cancer treatment expenses incurred by hospitalisation (in semi-private room) or outpatient － The plans reimburse all medical expenses related to the inpatient6 or outpatient expenses incurred for consultation or treatment due to a Covered Cancer or any related complication.
- Additional caring benefits － The plans cover or subsidise customers for a variety of other treatment-related costs, such as actual expenses for psychological counselling for customers and members of their immediate family, subsidy the fee of travelling for treatment7, daily hospital cash benefit for long-term hospitalisation and consultation with a registered Chinese medicine practitioner (including Chinese medicine).
Jason is a non-smoker, aged 40. Assuming he purchases “Cancer Guardian Plus” with an annual premium of HK$1,325 for the first year, the premium is less than HK$4 per day*. The limit Per Covered Cancer is up to HK$1 million, while the lifetime cancer protection is HK$3 million. If Jason is unfortunately diagnosed with colorectal cancer, the estimated total medical expenses would amount to approximately HK$0.73 million8. He will be reimbursed for actual medical expenses including diagnostic benefit, cancer treatment benefit, medication and monitoring benefit. If Jason is diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 484 and the cancer subsequently develops to stage four, the plan provides him with an extra 50% of cancer coverage (the limit Per Covered Cancer will be increased from HK$1 million to HK$1.5 million) to fully cover the estimated total medical expenses of approximately HK$1.23 million8.
Customers whose applications for “Cancer Guardian” series / “Cancer Guardian Pearl” series9 will be eligible for a premium refund:
- From now till 28 February 2015, successful applicants will enjoy a two-month premium refund;
- From 1 March to 30 April 2015, successful applicants will enjoy a one-month premium refund.
For comprehensive coverage, customers may apply for designated AIA Hong Kong’s critical illness protection products including “Smart Care Pro”, “Multiple Care Pro 2”, “Executive Care Pro 2” or “Prime Care Pro” between now and 30 April 2015 and be eligible for a one-month premium refund.
* Premium stated is non- guaranteed. Premium payable is calculated according to the Insured’s attained age and the applicable premium at the time of
application or renewal of this cover. Premium will increase with the increase of age and AIA will regularly (not less than once per year) review the impact of
medical inflation and claim performance on premium. The figure is rounded up to the nearest dollar.
1 Source: Website of Hong Kong Cancer Registry, Hospital Authority November 2014, based on a study of 2012 cancer statistics.
2 Source: Website of Hong Kong Cancer Registry, Hospital Authority, based on the 2003-2012 statistics of average prevalence rate of cancers of different
parts of the body (accessed in December 2014).
This cover may be renewed annually during the lifetime of the Insured provided this plan continues to be available. The renewal premium will be based
on the attained age of the Insured and the applicable premium table upon renewal. Such premium table is not guaranteed and is subject to change. The
Company reserves the right to revise it from time to time. The Company also reserves the right to revise the benefit structure and / or any other product
features as determined by us, on any Policy Anniversary Date or renewal by giving a 30-day prior written notice. We reserve the right to determine the
terms and conditions for renewal.
4 For purposes of payment of the Target Protection Benefit, where a Covered Cancer (any covered cancer classified as stage four, liver cancer, brain cancer,
blood cancer or lymphoma) (“Subsequent Relevant Cancer”) is claimed following an Immediately Preceding Cancer suffered by the Insured, the
Subsequent Relevant Cancer will be regarded as one and the same Covered Cancer as the Immediately Preceding Cancer unless Diagnosed after the
Five-Year Cancer Waiting Period in respect of the Immediately Preceding Cancer.
The extra 50% Target Protection Benefit does not count towards the Lifetime Cancer Limit.
6 The benefits payable for Confinement is based on the charge level of Semi-Private Room. If the Insured is confined in a room of a class higher than SemiPrivate
Room, the benefits payable will be reduced by multiplying an adjustment factor (“Adjustment Factor”). The Adjustment Factor is calculated by
dividing the daily room charge of a Semi-Private Room in the Hospital admitted by the Insured by the daily actual room charge of each such days of
Confinement.“Semi-Private Room” means a twin or double occupancy room in a Hospital with two patient beds (not including companion bed) and one
7 Applicable to Cancer Guardian Plus and Cancer Guardian Pearl Plus only.
8 Source: Hong Kong Baptist Hospital Service Charges, December 15, 2014 updated version (http://www.hkbh.org.hk/doc/gen_hosp_char.pdf) and Hospital
Authority Ordinance (http://www.ha.org.hk/haho/ho/cs/207298tc.pdf);
Hong Kong Cancer Fund (http://www.cancer-fund.org/tc/cancer_news_365.html).
9 Cancer Guardian series are applicable for Hong Kong / Macau ID cardholders; while Cancer Guardian Pearl series including Cancer Guardian Pearl and
Cancer Guardian Pearl Plus are applicable for PRC nationals. The product features are the same but the premiums are different.
Source: Research of Cancer Trend and Medical Expenses by GfK Hong Kong, a market research company, on behalf of AIA
(data collection date: January 2015).
The above information is for reference only. For the details of the product features, content and conditions, please refer to the product brochure and the
terms & conditions of the Policy contract.
About AIA Hong Kong and AIA Macau
AIA Hong Kong and AIA Macau are subsidiaries of AIA Group Limited, who established its operations in Hong Kong in 1931. We have the largest team of financial planners in Hong Kong and Macau*, now over 10,000, as well as an extensive network of IFA, brokerage and bancassurance partners, who serve around 1.78 million customers. Our products range from individual life, group life, accident, medical and health, personal lines insurance to investment-linked products with numerous investment options. We are also dedicated to providing superb product solutions to meet the financial needs of high net worth customers.
* As of 31 December 2014
AIA Group Limited and its subsidiaries (collectively “AIA” or “the Group”) comprise the largest independent publicly listed pan-Asian life insurance group. It has operations in 17 markets in Asia-Pacific – wholly-owned branches and subsidiaries in Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Korea, the Philippines,
Australia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Vietnam, New Zealand, Macau, Brunei, a 97 per cent subsidiary in Sri Lanka, a 26 per cent joint-venture in India and a representative office in Myanmar.
The business that is now AIA was first established in Shanghai over 90 years ago. It is a market leader in the Asia-Pacific region (excl. Japan) based on life insurance premiums and holds leading positions across the majority of its markets. It had total assets of US$159 billion as at 31 May 2014.
AIA meets the savings and protection needs of individuals by offering a range of products and services including life insurance, accident and health insurance and savings plans. The Group also provides employee benefits, credit life and pension services to corporate clients. AIA currently serves the holders of more than 28 million individual policies, more than 120,000 corporate clients and over 16 million participating members of group insurance schemes.
AIA Group Limited is listed on the Main Board of The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited under the stock code “1299” with American Depositary Receipts (Level 1) traded on the over-the-counter market (ticker symbol: “AAGIY”).